What we propose
The primary purpose of this role is to contribute to the management of CERT-EU’s IT infrastructure, to the smooth operation of the internal helpdesk (providing support to a highly technical group of IT experts in a multicultural, collaborative environment), and to participate in all tasks related to IT operations, with the opportunity to take the lead on key projects.
The selected candidate will cooperate closely with other teams of CERT-EU, providing first-hand architecture guidance and contribute to solution engineering, technical product management, and system administration.
As part of the duties, the selected candidate participates in the general set of tasks executed by the team, which include:
- Ensure the availability and service quality of CERT-EU’s infrastructure
- Install, maintain, harden, monitor and troubleshoot the in-house information systems that support core organisational functions
- Perform necessary administration tasks on CERT-EU’s networks and servers, keeping software and equipment configurations up-to-date
- Ensure internal helpdesk functions: manage specialised ITSM software, handle incoming requests, perform needed diagnostics and provide technical assistance
- Participate in strategic projects, automate systems, deploy applications and perform migrations
- Develop and define technical and functional requirements for implementations and propose enhancements to complex applications
- Evaluate software requirements, analyse server capabilities, and recommend optimum server configurations that will improve system reliability and performance
- Monitor the entire CERT-EU’s IT landscape
- Analyse incoming logs from network devices, assess the anomalies and trigger alerts when relevant
- Liaise with other teams as needed to contribute to the design and implementation of security policies and network protection
- Create and maintain documentation and procedures
- Help junior staff and trainees develop their skills through mentoring.
This is a highly technical, challenging, and empowering job with enough room for the selected candidate’s competencies to shine in a very friendly, supportive, human and professional environment.
Who we look for
The selected candidate must possess at least 5 years of experience as a System and Network Administrator / Engineer.
The selected candidate must also possess knowledge in the following domains:
- Strong networking skills and knowledge of TCP/IP
- Configuration and troubleshooting of TCP/IP networked devices (LAN, WAN, VPN)
- Strong knowledge in configuring and administering of firewall devices
- Profound knowledge of installing and maintaining Windows server and client operating systems in an Active Directory environment, as well as configuring associated services (DHCP, DNS, DFS, GPO)
- Thorough knowledge of virtualisation platforms, such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMware ESXi, including Storage Area Network management
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Linux security
- Experience in scripting—Linux/Mac (shell), Windows (PowerShell)
- Experience with PKI, X.509 digital certificates management and SSL Certificates (Windows, Linux, macOS), S/MIME, PGP encryption
- Deep understanding of system hardening (application / OS hardening, CIS benchmarks, RBAC or similar)
- Advanced knowledge or experience in cybersecurity standards and best practices
- Relevant experience in server monitoring solutions such as IP Monitor, Zabbix, PRTG, Nagios
- Knowledge of containers (Docker/Kubernetes) and their security management
- Knowledge of backup-to-disk and backup-to-tape technologies.
The selected candidate should also demonstrate the following skills:
- A high level of customer orientation and needs
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to deal with a large amount of information in a limited time
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with coworkers in an international and multi-disciplinary work environment
- A high degree of commitment and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills in English, both orally and in writing
- A focus on constant learning and improvement of technical and personal skills
- Experience with a vast array of IT technologies and the ability to quickly master new ones.
What would make you stand out
The ideal candidate will possess some, or all, of the following:
- Use of database technologies as MySQL, or SQL-based equivalents, as well as NoSQL-based databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, or Elasticsearch
- Experience with web & application servers (nginx, Apache, Tomcat)
- Experience with ELK, Apache Kafka and MiniO
- Experience with service configuration management, deployment and continuous integration tools (Ansible / Saltstack /Jenkins)
- Experience with source code management and software repository systems (e.g. Git / Gitlab)
- Experience with the latest Apple macOS version and its security in an enterprise deployment
- Experience with macOS MDM management
- Knowledge and experience working with enterprise email / email security gateways
- Deep understanding of email security standards and technologies like SPF, DKIM and DMARC
- Familiarity with the following platforms: MISP, Iris, Tines, OpenCTI, Mattermost, Confluence
- Experience with Splunk administration and maintenance across a variety of Linux and Windows platforms
- Familiarity with cloud services such as Azure, AWS and O365
- Official certification in a server operating system, TCP/IP networking, and /or virtualisation platforms
- Official certification in service management (e.g. ITIL)
- Experience in delivering training courses or presenting technical solutions outside one’s team.
The candidate must hold a security clearance at EU SECRET level or be in a position to be security cleared.
What we offer
- A friendly and multicultural workplace
- A stimulating and unique environment where personal development, growth and initiative are encouraged
- Continuous learning opportunities
- Working with a supportive and dynamic team with a deep sense of mission
- Flexible scheduling with the possibility to work from home on a part-time basis
- An attractive salary.
Consult the Jobs at the European Commission page for more information on the working conditions. Please note that the position is based in Brussels, Belgium. Full remote work is not possible at this time.
Are you eligible
To apply, you have to:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union
- Be able to provide a certificate of good conduct
- Have fulfilled any legal obligations related to military service
- Be able to produce evidence of thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages (level C1) and satisfactory knowledge of a second official EU language (level B2).
Additionally, to be recruited as a contract agent, you must have:
For function groups II and III:
- a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma, or
- a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years, or
- professional training or professional experience of an equivalent level, where justified in the interest of the service.
For function group IV:
- a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, or
- professional training of an equivalent level, where justified in the interest of the service.
If so, then apply!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV (and a motivation letter if possible). Please provide the title of the position you are applying for in the subject of your email.
- If your skill-set matches the requirements, we will contact you for an informal interview to introduce you to CERT-EU, get to know you better and answer questions you might have
- If the informal interview goes well, you will need to take a CAST test. Worry not, our wonderful secretariat will supply all the necessary information
- Once you succeed in the CAST test, we will then invite you for a formal interview in view of a possible recruitment.