Information security system developer
Contract Agent Function Group IV
What we propose
The CERT for the European Union institutions, bodies and agencies (CERT-EU) is looking to hire an Information Security System Developer to join its DevSecOps team.
The primary purpose of this role is to participate in the development activities within CERT-EU. The DevSecOps team creates and improves automation tools related to the handling of security alerts, event monitoring and cloud-related activities as well as web technologies. The DevSecOps team also contributes to open-source projects and innovation regarding detection and response capabilities.
The selected candidate will cooperate closely with other teams of CERT-EU, providing hands-on architecture guidance and contributing to solution engineering, technical product management, and system administration.
As part of the duties, the selected candidate will participate in the general set of tasks executed by the team, which include:
- Providing direct support in all technical phases of the implementation of our detection, response and sharing capabilities
- Proposing ways for regular improvement of these capabilities
- Maintenance of existing automation scripts and development of new scripts
- Propose and implement a strategy for managing application development infrastructure throughout its lifecycle, from provisioning and configuration to orchestration and reporting.
This is a highly technical, challenging, and empowering job with enough room for the selected candidate’s competencies to shine in a very friendly, supportive, human and professional environment.
Who we look for
The selected candidate must possess at least 3 years prior experience as a developer.
The selected candidate must also possess knowledge in the following domains:
- Work experience as a Python Developer
- Experience in writing effective, scalable code
- Familiarity with front-end technologies
- Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM methodologies
- Prior experience with Gitlab and CI/CD pipelines
- Strong knowledge of Linux platform and its security
- Experience in scripting - Linux / Mac (shell), Windows (PowerShell)
- Knowledge of containers (Docker/Kubernetes) and their security management.
The selected candidate should also demonstrate the following skills:
- A high level of customer orientation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to deal with a large amount of information in a limited time
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers in an international and multi-disciplinary work environment
- A high degree of commitment and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills in English, both orally and in writing
- A focus on constant learning and improving technical and personal skills
- Experience with a vast array of IT technologies and the ability to quickly master new technologies.
What would make you stand out
The ideal candidate will possess some, or all, of the following:
- Use of database technologies as MySQL, or SQL-based equivalents, as well as NoSQL-based databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch
- Experience with web & application servers (nginx, Apache, WSGI server)
- Experience with ELK, Apache Kafka and MiniO
- Experience with service configuration management, deployment and continuous integration tools (Ansible)
- Familiarity with cloud services such as: Azure, AWS and Office365
- Official certification in a server operating system, TCP/IP networking and/or virtualisation platforms
- Experience in delivering training courses or presenting technical solutions outside one’s team.
The candidate must hold a security clearance at EU SECRET level or be in a position to be security cleared.
What we offer
- A friendly and multicultural workplace
- A stimulating and unique environment where personal development, growth and initiative are encouraged
- Continuous learning opportunities
- Working with a supportive and dynamic team with a deep sense of mission
- Flexible scheduling with the possibility to work from home on a part-time basis
- An attractive salary.
Consult the Jobs at the European Commission page for more information on the working conditions. Please note that the position is based in Brussels, Belgium. Full remote work is not possible at this time.
Are you eligible
To apply, you have to:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union
- Be able to provide a certificate of good conduct
- Have fulfilled any legal obligations related to military service
- Be able to produce evidence of thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages (level C1) and satisfactory knowledge of a second official EU language (level B2).
Additionally, to be recruited as a contract agent, you must have:
For function groups II and III:
- a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma, or
- a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years, or
- professional training or professional experience of an equivalent level, where justified in the interest of the service.
For function group IV:
- a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, or
- professional training of an equivalent level, where justified in the interest of the service.
If so, then apply!
- Send an email to email@example.com with your CV (and a motivation letter if possible). Please provide the title of the position you are applying for in the subject of your email.
- If your skill-set matches the requirements, we will contact you for an informal interview to introduce you to CERT-EU, get to know you better and answer questions you might have
- If the informal interview goes well, you will need to take a CAST test. Worry not, our wonderful secretariat will supply all the necessary information
- Once you succeed in the CAST test, we will then invite you for a formal interview in view of a possible recruitment.